Rules can be found at: http://www.scoutshop.org/pwd-rules
Common Issues to Avoid:
- All four tires not on touching the race surface. The car is not permitted to rock back and forth.
- Weights located on the bottom of the car. This interferes with the race track and is not permitted
- Beveling the underside of the front edge of the car. This gives an unfair starting advantage, so the leading edge of the car must be nearest the track
- Weight can be up to but not over 5 oz at the time of check in
Race Day Racing Order:
- Family & Friends – 5 oz
- Family & Friends – 10 oz
- Lion Den Division
- Tiger Den Division
- Wolf Den Division
- Bear Den Devision
- Webelo Den Division
- AOL Dens Division
- Pack Championship (Top 3 Racers from each Den Division Complete for Pack Champion!)
Our Top 3 Finishers go on to the District Race on April 29!
Designing Your Car:
- In general, your Scout will want to design a car that is aerodynamic and as close to the 5 oz weight limit without going over. Weights are allowed.
Issues to Avoid:
- Make sure the bottom front point of the car is the furthest forward. The top of the front of the car cannot overhand the bottom front of the car.
- Do not put weights on the bottom of the car, these will interfere with the track and are not permitted
- Make sure all four wheels are touching the ground the same time. Using a piece of glass or flat solid countertop is a good way to check. If it is rocking between tires, it needs to be corrected
- Do not make the car longer than the block of wood provided to stay within the envelop requirements
- Get the weight as close to 5 oz as possible, but do not go over
Pinewood Derby Workshop (January 21st from 1 until 4):
- We will have table saws and sanders to help you and your Scout cut out your car
- We will also be there to answer any questions you may have about car design
- If you’d like to buy a car kit for the family 5 oz and 10 oz races, they will be available during the workshop for $10 each. Please bring cash or check.
Finishing Your Car:
- After the car is cut, take it home, finish any remaining sanding, and paint your car
- Make it as interesting as you like!
Pinewood Derby Car Check in and Impound (Feb 3 from 6 until 8)
- Cars will be checked using a scale and different fixtures to confirm it meets the requirements and then impounded until the race the next day
- While this is going on, the track will be set up
- We need your help, please sign up for a slot today at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/805054cafa729a3fe3-pinewood#/
Race Day (Feb 4 at 1:00):
- Races will commence with the family 5 oz and 10 oz divisions
- The top 3 cars from each den will continue on to the pack championship after the last den has completed its run
- Metals for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place as well as Best in Show will be presented
- Trophies for 1st – 5th Place as well as Pack Best in Show will also be presented during the awards ceremony
- Our Top 3 finishers will continue on to the District Pinewood Derby on April 29th